There is a myth that tells you can only enjoy Costa Rica during the dry or summer season, from December to April... But to be honest, the truth is Costa Rica is always in season! Sunny days in Costa Rica might look so amazing, but they can turn the rainforests into dead zones.
Many adventurers and nature lovers, are really embracing the benefits of traveling in the months within the green season, which offer lots of unique charms and so much more than just rainy afternoons…
With a cool weather, get ready to enjoy our lush jungles, fascinating green coasts and some overwhelming natural shows performed by the most exotic wildlife species:
1. The Rainforest gets alive: if you want to taste a perfect blend, then try rain + forest and you will get live! Our flora and fauna exotic species love the humid weather conditions to grow and live harmoniously. Prepare all your senses to hear the heart and the rhythm of the jungle.
2. Turtle nesting: Costa Rica is privileged for receiving different marine turtles species: The olive ridley, arrive at Ostional Wildlife Reserve in the North Pacific. They usually arrive from mid-June through December. During an arribada, thousands of turtles can be seen at the beach all at one time. The leatherback turtles begin their Pacific nesting season in October and continue through December at Las Baulas National Park, also located in Guanacaste.
Finally Tortuguero, ‘’Land of Turtles’’, is the most important nesting site for endangered Green sea turtles, which arrive from July to October.
3. Whales watching: The warm waters off the Southern Pacific’s Osa Peninsula are Costa Rica’s most popular destination for whale watching; in fact, the Osa Peninsula is home to the longest humpback whale watching season in the world! In addition to humpbacks, you can spot pilot whales and pseudo orca whales, as well as bottlenose dolphins, spinner dolphins, spotted dolphins, common dolphins, and rough-toothed dolphins. The humpback whale migration starts late July till November and December-March.
4. Great prices: is time to save money and take advantage of great promos in airline tickets, top hotels and tours, in order to finally visit the travel destinations of your dreams. The prices during this season are usually from 10 to 40 % cheaper!
5. Less crowds: I need to confess that I really hate crowds and this is really the BEST time to visit National Parks as Manuel Antonio, which is terribly crowded in summer. If you dreamed about isolated beaches hidden in the jungle then this is your time! In addition, you will get a full-personalized service everywhere.
6. Birdwatching: June, July and August are great months for birdwatching. Costa Rica has lots of resident species and you will be able to see many more, since all the national parks and reserves are less crowded. Check the most beautiful birds you can admire: Click Here
7. Discover the Caribbean coast: the perfect time to visit Tortuguero, Puerto Viejo or Cahuita is during September and October. In October you will enjoy sunny days and the cultural carnival every year. Be ready to get obsessed with the amazing Gastronomy.
8. Exotic Gastronomy: a great chance to try local and seasonal ingredients. Some of my favorite seasonal fruits are jocotes, cas, mango and rambutan. If you visit the Caribbean coast then you need to try rice and beans, rondón and patí.
9. Wellness paradise: three of my favorite activities to do while it's raining are practicing yoga, receive a relaxing massage or enjoy at the therapeutic and magical Hot Springs. My favorite Wellness retreat in Central America: Tabacon Hot Springs and you can't miss to enjoy Hacienda Guachipelín Hot springs and it’s fascinating Waterfalls.
10. Sublime landscapes: one of the things I love more of the Costa Rican coasts is precisely it's green and lush coasts. Indeed, one of the qualities that makes this country completely exotic and unique.
11. Amazing surf conditions: at this season the swells and waves tend to be bigger, which makes both Pacific and Caribbean coasts ideal for surfing.
12. Go diving: some of Costa Rica’s best diving spots are only accessible during green season as Playas del Coco and Murcielago Islands. It is also a good idea to visit the famed Cocos Island during June and July to enjoy calm waters and fascinating wildlife encounters.